All parents, spectators, coaches, and players must read and adhere
to these codes of conduct to participate in our program.
NOTE: Our new WHS Social Media Policy for 2023 is now available on our website.
PARENT/SPECTATOR CODE OF CONDUCT:
As a parent and spectator participating in West Hill Softball programs, you are expected to:
- Complete the Respect in Sport course as required by Calgary Minor Softball (currently no expiration date, only need to take once).
- Model good sportsmanship for your child in all interactions with their teammates, coaches, opponents and Umpires.
- Refrain from any criticism of Umpires; whether volunteers or paid, they, like your children, are learning the game, and need support and encouragement from all.
- Provide positive feedback to all players from both teams, and offer encouragement when they try something creative, or demonstrate good skills.
- Avoid conflicts with parents from your team, and from the opposing team.
- Let the Coaches do their job; avoid yelling instructions to players from the sidelines, it can be confusing and frustrating for all.
- Communicate openly with your coach if you have ideas or concerns; choose a time away from a game situation; treat the Coach with respect, and work with them for the betterment of the team.
- For all parent-coach or athlete-coach conflicts related to playing time, in-game decisions, coaching methodologies, personality conflicts or otherwise, we encourage parents/athletes to wait 24hrs from the time of the event or activity before contacting a coach for discussion.
- Demonstrate commitment to the team by having your child attend all practices and games, arriving on time, or providing notice if necessary to miss one or being late.
- Do your fair share, sign-up for volunteer roles with your child’s team; this league is 100% run by volunteers.
- Avoid the use of profanity, violent behaviour, bullying, unsportsmanlike conduct and abuse of any kind towards other parents, athletes, coaches or officials.
- Maintain for your child, an environment that is free from drugs (including cannabis), tobacco and alcohol. Refrain from their use or being under the influence of these substances at all WHS games and practices.
- Ensure your child is interacting consistent with the Player Code of Conduct listed below.
- Ensure your child is having fun; developing a lifelong love of the game!
PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT:
As a youth player participating in West Hill Softball programs, you are expected to:
- Play by the rules of the game.
- Abide by our WHS Social Media Policy
- Encourage and respect all your teammates; help them and the team to succeed.
- Be fair and positive in your interactions with opponents; without them, there is no game.
- Respect the Umpires, and accept their decisions without criticism.
- Treat your Coach with respect. Work with them for the betterment of the team.
- Accept coaching decisions as part of the game; speak respectfully, openly and honestly in private with your Coach should a disagreement arise.
- Demonstrate commitment to the team by attending all practices and games, providing notice if necessary to miss one, and by working hard and cooperatively at all team events.
- Avoid the use of profanity, violent behaviour, bullying, unsportsmanlike conduct and abuse of any kind towards other athletes, coaches or officials.
- Maintain an environment that is free from drugs (including cannabis), tobacco and alcohol. Refrain from their use or being under the influence of these substances at all WHS games and practices.
- Be generous when you win, and gracious when you lose.
- Most importantly, have fun!
CONSEQUENCES FOR MISCONDUCT:
If any parent and/or athlete fails to abide by these rules and guidelines, they will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by umpire, head coach, WHS board member, and/or Calgary Minor Softball Association (CMSA) Commissioner
- Written warning from coach, WHS board member, and/or Calgary Minor Softball Association (CMSA) Commissioner
- Parent or athlete suspension ranging from one game up to the remainder of the season, with written documentation of the incident kept on file by organization(s) involved
Thank you for taking the time to read our codes of conduct.
If you encounter any issues with individuals NOT adhering to our codes of conduct, please reach out in confidence to our Conflict & Appeals Coordinator, Shireen at email@example.com